Member Spotlight: Aaron Grabein
"The best thing about The Combine is the people. I love my 530 class. It’s a great group that pushes each other, but we also love to have fun."
Here's a little Q & A to get to know Aaron:
1. How did you discover The Combine [CSC CrossFit]?
I was looking for a new box that would give me a bit of a challenge, while also staying close to home and found The Combine just through some research. I talked to friends that had experience at CSC or knew the coaches and they had nothing but great stuff to say. So I dropped-in, got my butt kicked by a workout and said this will be the place!
2. Who/what inspires/motivates you or why do you workout?
5:30am is basically the only me time I get in the day. Between work, family, kids and life, it all gets hectic. So this is my chance to keep me grounded, keep me healthy and quench my competitive thirst.
3. What "ah ha" moments have you had in CrossFit recently?
When I first got double unders. I had spent months working on them and beating myself up (mentally and physically) and wasn’t making progress. I remember doing Annie and not getting past 50 DUs because I just couldn’t do them. I finally came to the conclusion that I would never get them and then one day with DUs in a workout I gave it a shot and picked up 30 in a row. I think getting out of my own head was all I needed.
4. What's your go-to "cheat" meal/restaurant? What is something we might not know about you?
a. My go-to “cheat” meal is Tex-Mex. I can die a happy boy on margaritas, chips, queso and guacamole.
b. Two things you might not know about me. I used to be a competitive swimmer and held some records in Houston for a bit. And I’m a former band nerd. I played percussion and was on the drumline and still play drumset here and there.
5. What fitness accomplishment are you most proud of?
Just being healthy in general. I’ve had PRs here and there but the fact that I’m healthy and can remain healthy to play with my son and family makes me happy.
6. Have you hit any recent PR's or achieve any other goal(s)? Any future goals?
I recently hit a 190lb snatch. I want 200 before the end of the year.
7. What has your participation at The Combine done for you physically, mentally and/or emotionally?
The best thing about The Combine is the people. I love my 530 class. It’s a great group that pushes each other, but we also love to have fun. I feel when you wake up at 445am four days a week to workout, it needs to be fun. Otherwise, sleeping is so much better.
8. What are your favorite workouts or exercises?Anything with cleans or snatches or muscle-ups. My ideal workout: heavy power cleans and muscle-up AMRAP